In the News
- Registration for the 2019 Bowlathon is now open! (January 2019)
- BCAG selected for Monterey County Gives! 2018 -- donations open 8 November through 31 December (November 2018)
- BCAG received inaugural Sientra FULL CIRCLE grant (October 2018)
- Quail Lodge and Golf Course has gone pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month (KSBW October 2018)
- 100+ Women Who Care on the Central Coast selects BCAG (Winter 2016)
- Helping Breast Cancer Survivors Like Themselves (The Californian Nov. 3, 2016)
Board of Directors
Breast Cancer Assistance Group of Monterey County (BCAG) is an all-volunteer nonprofit organization of breast cancer survivors who raise funds and awareness to improve the lives of local breast cancer patients and their families.
"We want to help other women with this disease as we would want to be helped ourselves."
The organization was founded in 1997 by four women with breast cancer who felt that this community’s assistance to women with their disease could be broader and more thoughtfully conceived. Specifically, these founders were moved by the pro-active approach and attitude of a close friend who had not survived.
First, they envisioned a single site dedicated to women with breast cancer, a place where women would be treated with particular understanding of their needs with a medical team approach. Their vision, in addition to their fundraising efforts, contributed to the development of the Breast Care Center which Community Hospital of Monterey County (CHOMP) opened in 2002.
Second they had helped each other with peer counseling through their early years with breast cancer. Their efforts contributed to the development of a Patient Navigator Program and several Cancer Support groups currently administered by the CHOMP Comprehensive Cancer Center and the American Cancer Society.
The third objective of BCAG founders was educational, to supply relevant information about breast cancer to patients, survivors and their families through regular public meetings with guest speakers.